Members of the Hermit Club have access to many member-exclusive events, activities and benefits. Entertainment at the Hermit Club includes the following programs that you can join or simply enjoy as a spectator, including:
- Drama: If you enjoyed acting during college or high school, the Hermit Club’s drama program is a great fit for you! Our plays range from tragedies to comedies and musicals, and include both classics and original material written by Hermits. In fact, the Club’s drama program is a great place for you to try out your own original work in front of a friendly audience, in our well equipped theatre performance space. members are welcome, whether you’re participating as actors and actresses, production support or audience members!
- Chorus: Hit a note and sing your heart out with the Mixed Chorus! Concerts are held twice per year, and offer the opportunity for solo and small ensemble work as well.
- Big Band Jazz: Consisting of about 20 talented musicians, the Big Band Jazz program has been in full swing since 1961. Led by vibraphonist and arranger Bud Wattles, the band plays a mixture of old and new favorites, guaranteed to get your feet tapping! Most of the band’s charts are outstanding original arrangements that are only played and heard at our Club.
- Orchestra: Performing three to three times per year, the 25-piece Hermit Orchestra often shares the stage with the Mixed Chorus to perform a variety of classical repertoire and “pop” tunes. A perennial favorite is the Christmas concert, presented in conjunction with the Mixed Chorus, which plays to sold-out crowds for two consecutive days. Led by Steve Eva, the Hermit Orchestra has a light rehearsal schedule of only one or two rehearsals per performance.
- Hermit Amalgamated Musicians (HAMs): The HAMs program was established for fellow Hermits who would like to perform a talent not already fostered within our other programs. Eclectic concerts hosted by HAMs have ranged from classical chamber music to cabaret shows, to comical lectures and dramatic readings. If you have talent, but no place to perform, HAMs welcomes you!
In addition to these entertainment programs, the Hermit Club is host to a number of other festive events and activities throughout the year for your enjoyment. Members are encouraged to bring forward any additional event or activity ideas they may have. Recurring events and activities include:
- Club Nights, held in conjunction with select performances at the Playhouse Square Broadway Series, Cleveland Play House, and other professional and community theatres throughout the area, including group tickets and pre-theatre dining opportunities. The Club’s longstanding relationship with Playhouse Square assures top-seating preferences, with dinner at the club preceding the show;
- Wassail Bowl, the traditional Christmas Eve chorus and orchestra concert;
- Alley Party, an annual, themed costume party held each June;
- Poetry Nights, held each year in January, allows members to share their favorite poems, readings or original works;
- Showtime at the Hermit, our annual fundraiser, featuring unique entertainment and an enticing live auction, held each fall;
- Reverse Raffle, an annual fundraiser for the men of the club;
- Club Hops, offering opportunities to enjoy other area private clubs for cocktails, dinners, or other activities;
- Periodic Pub Parties (winter) and Patio Parties (summer), featuring free hors d¹oeuvres, entertainment by the Hermit Club Jazz Trio and welcomed guests.